Cloud infrastructure becomes a necessary stage in the business development. The majority of companies realize the importance of the cloud approach. Cloud services allow you to effectively deploy and manage your software. Besides, the primary cause to use the cloud technologies is the cost reduction. Cloud vendors use the Pay-As-You-Go model, which allows to not overpay for services.
The other common advantages for the business owner are security, an increase of, access to many features and functionality by cloud and scalability (you can contract or expand resources for your needs). Is this process really so positive or are there some challenges? Of course, you might face some mistakes. Below we will describe some of the challenges and ways to solve them.
What challenges could you face?
- Fast growth. Sometimes companies grow faster than planned, as a result, there could be challenges for data centers. This problem is managed by the scalability of cloud services.
- Security problems. There is a chance of a leak of sensitive data, especially on public clouds or with an unscrupulous MSP. You can avoid this problem if you refer to a reliable and experienced third-party provider and sign with them all necessary documents including NDA.
- Ineffective payment. Cloud infrastructure uses a Pay-As-You-Go model, but sometimes the owners don’t devote the needed attention to the system and overpay. They buy resources in advance instead of using auto-scaling.
- The old mindset with new infrastructure. Lots of customers try to merge traditional management with new technologies. As a result, they manage the cloud as if it was an on-premise setup.
- Neglecting the quality network connection. Cloud infrastructure needs a good quality of network connection because you’ll have access to your data by the Internet. This is a thing you should not save on.
- Troubles with a cloud vendor. You could change your vendor and use another. But sometimes migration can be hard because vendors are incompatible. To avoid this problem, before using new services you should read in detail the contract terms and conditions and build modular infrastructures that can be moved to another platform with ease.
- Software compatibility. You might have compatibility issues when migrating applications to the cloud. To manage this, you need to ensure that your software is compatible with a cloud environment.
- No backup plan. You should have a clear understanding of your backup schemes and the possibilities of data retrieval.
All these troubles can make your migration to the cloud unbearable. But if you pay attention to your strategy on each step, you will successfully implement cloud infrastructure for your business. Don’t worry if you feel not competent in this area. You can’t cover all the technologies for your business. Find a reliable Cloud Service Provider which will implement and secure all your software and data.
Conclusion: how to make the first steps to a cloud strategy?
We reviewed common challenges you can face during the cloud infrastructure implementation. We hope this information will be useful for you at each stage of business development. If you want to make a successful cloud strategy roadmap for your business, you should take account of the listed challenges and avoid them. Also, you can refer to a cloud strategy consulting company which will get you a ready cloud strategy template.